The Evo-Web Football Thoughts Blog

Yea everything ok. I only share my toughts.

I don't like such a style of football, 2 times 90 minutes + and just one goal each. Once a long ball and one after a standard situation.
And the others a mixture of lack of ideas and like the rabbit before the snake in the game structure. Just don't get an opponent's counterattack.
I prefer it if there is an open mind between both teams.

Well, now the Spanish LaLiga champions are playing against the fifth team from the Bundesliga.

Just not my UCL season. I was hoping, like I said weeks ago, for a final between Inter and Atletico.

I see your point, and I like it when both teams are open, but I'll take a team playing like Dortmund when they're the underdog. PSG's wage bill will be, what, two or three times that of Dortmund's? And PSG have an insane amount of speed and skill up front. Dortmund did what they had to do in the circumstances. When a team is rightly pragmatic (Greece 2004 comes to mind) I have utmost admiration. When a team is needlessly stuffy (Mourinho's Chelsea around the same time comes to mind) that's when I get annoyed!

I see your point, and I like it when both teams are open, but I'll take a team playing like Dortmund when they're the underdog. PSG's wage bill will be, what, two or three times that of Dortmund's? And PSG have an insane amount of speed and skill up front. Dortmund did what they had to do in the circumstances. When a team is rightly pragmatic (Greece 2004 comes to mind) I have utmost admiration. When a team is needlessly stuffy (Mourinho's Chelsea around the same time comes to mind) that's when I get annoyed!
Yeah, sometimes you just need to counteract another team or be defeated. After all, you play to win a football match first and foremost. Being entertaining is a secondary thought.

Yea everything ok. I only share my toughts.

I don't like such a style of football, 2 times 90 minutes + and just one goal each. Once a long ball and one after a standard situation.
And the others a mixture of lack of ideas and like the rabbit before the snake in the game structure. Just don't get an opponent's counterattack.
I prefer it if there is an open mind between both teams.

Well, now the Spanish LaLiga champions are playing against the fifth team from the Bundesliga.

Just not my UCL season. I was hoping, like I said weeks ago, for a final between Inter and Atletico.
Absolutely gutted to see Bayern Munich bottling up again. No more Wembley repeat like 2013 vs Borussia Dortmund. Referees made a terrible mistakes in the dying moments that favored the Spanish corrupts.

But I think Bayern are really deserved to not win any kind of trophies after their tumultuous season. They look very awful, lacked discipline and fell apart throughout this season.

Asking about the UCL Final this year, I personally don't like to see Dortmund and Madrid making through. When the quarterfinal draw came out, I was hoping for the semifinal to be an all-Spanish (Atletico Madrid vs Barcelona) and all-English affairs (Arsenal vs Manchester City), with Barcelona and Manchester City going through. It's all about the 2011 reunion, when Xavi and Pep Guardiola together won the Champions League at Wembley against Manchester United, which was Manchester City's "noisy neighbors".

Last, but not least, UEL and UECL Finals this year get very interesting, with Atalanta and Olympiacos playing in the major European Finals for the first time ever. Bayer Leverkusen produced yet another "Xabi Time" thing against Roma, scoring two equalizing goals in the injury time after being 0-2 down to keep their Invincible Treble hopes alive. As for the Olympiacos, they are looking for a repeat of the national team's historic victory in Euro 2004, with the twist that the UECL Final will be played in home soil, having already knocked the likes of Maccabi Tel Aviv (after losing 1-4 at home), Fenerbahce (won on penalty shootout), and now, big favorites Aston Villa (over two legs).

As an English fans, I'm very disappointed to see no English teams (Premier League) playing in the European Finals this year, after the other 4 were knocked out in the quarterfinal. The 5th-placed teams for Premier League will still play in the next season's of Europa League, then, which is really a bad news for Tottenham Hotspurs. Same for Manchester United, who will most likely not even playing in the European Football whatsoever. Hopefully, the Premier League clubs will bounce back for the next season, where the European club competitions will have 36 teams instead of 32.

Yeah, sometimes you just need to counteract another team or be defeated. After all, you play to win a football match first and foremost. Being entertaining is a secondary thought.

That's a point I'm quick to make. As much as we want football to be entertaining, it has no right to be. It's a sport, it just so happens that it can be brilliant to watch! I think people have lost sight of that.

Come on Tottenham beat City tonight!
I actually wouldn’t be surprised if Tottenham didn’t put maximum effort into this game as they want Arsenal winning the league about as much as I want Man City winning the league. Well I can hope Tottenham beat them anyway 😂

Edit: 😡🤬😢😭😭😭😭

Last edited:
Just heard about the new format for the 2025 Club World Cup

Taken from the article above:"On June 23, 2023, FIFA confirmed that the United States will host the 2025 tournament as a prelude to the 2026 FIFA World Cup. The host cities for the tournament remain undecided. The 32 teams will be divided into eight groups of four teams with the top two teams in each group qualifying to the knockout stage. The format will be the same that was used in the FIFA World Cup between 1998 and 2022, with the exception of a third-place play-off."

-------------------

Ok, so now the Club World Cup will be 32 teams:

12 slots for UEFA: Qualified Teams - Chelsea, Real Madrid, Man City, Bayern, PSG, Inter, Porto, Benfica, Dortmund, Juventus, Atletico Madrid, Red Bull Salzburg:
6 for CONMEBOL: Qualified Teams - Palmeiras, Flamengo, Fluminense, River Plate, 2 more TBD
5 for CONCACAF: Qualified Teams - Monterrey, Seattle Sounders, Leon, 2 more TBD
4 for AFC: Al-Hilal, Urawa Red Diamonds, Ulsan Hyundai, 1 more TBD
4 for CAF: Al Ahly, Wydad Casablanca, Espérance de Tunis, Mamelodi Sundowns
1 for OFC: Auckland City

-------------------

Personally, I'm not sold on the idea. I think the Club World Cup should feature only the Champions of the respective Club Cups.

I think the traditional Club Cups (Champions, Libertadores, AFC Champions League, CAF Champions League) are the ones that should retain the luster and importance that they've always had. If you were to ask me, I think winning a Champions League or a Libertadores is much more important to the respective teams than a Club World Cup. They have regional history, tradition, and weight. Creating a 32-team Club World Cup is like trying to undermine the importance and tradition of the Champions Leagues (UEFA, AFC and CAF) and Libertadores.

Not a fan of the 64 team World Cup either, and now this.. IMO, FIFA really makes some head-scratching decisions sometimes.

Last edited:

Taken from the article above:"On June 23, 2023, FIFA confirmed that the United States will host the 2025 tournament as a prelude to the 2026 FIFA World Cup. The host cities for the tournament remain undecided. The 32 teams will be divided into eight groups of four teams with the top two teams in each group qualifying to the knockout stage. The format will be the same that was used in the FIFA World Cup between 1998 and 2022, with the exception of a third-place play-off."

-------------------

12 slots for UEFA: Qualified Teams - Chelsea, Real Madrid, Man City, Bayern, PSG, Inter, Porto, Benfica, Dortmund, Juventus, Atletico Madrid, Red Bull Salzburg:
6 for CONMEBOL: Qualified Teams - Palmeiras, Flamengo, Fluminense, River Plate, 2 more TBD

-------------------

Personally, I'm not sold on the idea. I think the Club World Cup should feature only the Champions of the respective Club Cups.

I think the traditional Cup Cups (Champions, Libertadores, AFC Champions League, CAF Champions League) are the ones that should retain the luster and importance that they've always had. If you were to ask me, I think winning a Champions League or a Libertadores is much more important to the respective teams than a Club World Cup. They have regional history, tradition, and weight. Creating a 32-team Club World Cup is like trying to undermine the importance and tradition of the Champions Leagues and Libertadores.

Not a fan of the 64 team World Cup either, and now this.. IMO, FIFA really makes some head-scratching decisions sometimes.
It's also very possible that the European teams won't take it seriously, because it's at the start of the summer and they would want to avoid any injuries to their players, and therefore the whole tournament would lose the whole point it was created for. It looks like another FIFA cashgrab, however I want to wait until the tournament is already played to judge it.

EDIT: Oh and as a sidenote, the old format of the FIFA Club World Cup still exists, but this time by the name FIFA Intercontinental Cup.

Last edited:
It's also very possible that the European teams won't take it seriously, because it's at the start of the summer and they would want to avoid any injuries to their players, and therefore the whole tournament would lose the whole point it was created for. It looks like another FIFA cashgrab, however I want to wait until the tournament is already played to judge it.
That's a major problem for the European teams, plus there's an expanded UEFA club competitions (Champions League, Europa League, Conference League), with 36 teams participating on each competitions and more games (Top 8 of the main stage automatically qualified for the knockouts, with the additional 8 going through by the virtue of playoffs for teams ranked 9th-24th), and, of course, the World Cup itself with 48 teams and the additional Round of 32 in this tournament. So far, there had always been a competitive football games in just 3 years every summer! The next year where there's no competitive football games (of course, men's football) will be 2027.

The presence of Chelsea, PSG, Porto, Benfica, Dortmund, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, and Red Bull Salzburg in the Club World Cup makes no sense, given their inconsistencies in both domestic and international stages. The Club World Cup should feature the big names like Barcelona, Liverpool, Manchester United, AC Milan, etc. Even though they weren't in a good form, those clubs had a historic European pedigree in the past.

Personally, I'm not sold on the idea. Scrapping the meaningless Nations League tournaments (UEFA and CONCACAF) and the international friendlies are the only way to stop the scheduling congestion.

That's a major problem for the European teams, plus there's an expanded UEFA club competitions (Champions League, Europa League, Conference League), with 36 teams participating on each competitions and more games (Top 8 of the main stage automatically qualified for the knockouts, with the additional 8 going through by the virtue of playoffs for teams ranked 9th-24th), and, of course, the World Cup itself with 48 teams and the additional Round of 32 in this tournament. So far, there had always been a competitive football games in just 3 years every summer! The next year where there's no competitive football games (of course, men's football) will be 2027.

The presence of Chelsea, PSG, Porto, Benfica, Dortmund, Atletico Madrid, Juventus, and Red Bull Salzburg in the Club World Cup makes no sense, given their inconsistencies in both domestic and international stages. The Club World Cup should feature the big names like Barcelona, Liverpool, Manchester United, AC Milan, etc. Even though they weren't in a good form, those clubs had a historic European pedigree in the past.

Personally, I'm not sold on the idea. Scrapping the meaningless Nations League tournaments (UEFA and CONCACAF) and the international friendlies are the only way to stop the scheduling congestion.
I actually like the fact there's a limit of two teams per country and the teams that qualify only get in because of their Champions League performances, that way every time the competition is played we get new teams, not the same names every time.

-------------------

-------------------

I think the traditional Club Cups (Champions, Libertadores, AFC Champions League, CAF Champions League) are the ones that should retain the luster and importance that they've always had. If you were to ask me, I think winning a Champions League or a Libertadores is much more important to the respective teams than a Club World Cup. They have regional history, tradition, and weight. Creating a 32-team Club World Cup is like trying to undermine the importance and tradition of the Champions Leagues (UEFA, AFC and CAF) and Libertadores.

That will be some schedule!

@billyjov if it interferes with player fitness they won’t take it seriously you’re right. Having said that and no disrespect to other clubs but a lot of the European clubs could probably win it with a team that’s not full strength.

That will be some schedule!

@billyjov if it interferes with player fitness they won’t take it seriously you’re right. Having said that and no disrespect to other clubs but a lot of the European clubs could probably win it with a team that’s not full strength.
I do however believe, that the teams that are a bit more weak on the European side, like Porto and Salzburg will give it their best shot, as it's probably the only time they'll get to play in such a tournament, even if it interferes with their players' fitness.

I do however believe, that the teams that are a bit more weak on the European side, like Porto and Salzburg will give it their best shot, as it's probably the only time they'll get to play in such a tournament, even if it interferes with their players' fitness.
I don’t know how the rest of the world sees the competition but the top teams in England would probably see it as a nice bonus tournament to win but not a massive deal if they don’t. Having said that, if Man Utd were in it we would probably be going all out for it at this point just to try and get a trophy. So for that reason the weaker teams could be in with a shot.

How does Chelsea qualify for this thing? 😄 (In case sarcasm wasn't clear, they qualify from winning the UCL in 21)

I think this would have been capital-A Amazing, say, 20-30 years ago, but now just seems like a cash-grab that nobody in particular is asking for.

Back
Top Bottom