The Retro-PES Corner

⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐View attachment 194330⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Happy Christmas! Here is a gift for all of you. :)

J.League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship - originally released as a Sony PlayStation 2 exclusive in Japan on 21st August 2008. This particular title marks the end of the primary focus of the PS2 as the main console release for the Winning Eleven and Pro Evolution Soccer series as the games had now fully moved on to the next generation platforms at the time - PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. Whilst PES and Winning Eleven titles were still made yearly up until 2014 for the PS2 the quality sadly dropped off as the main development teams focus shifted to the newer more powerful consoles.

Alongside PES 2008/WE 2008 which was released earlier that year, JLWE2008CC is considered one of the finest releases in the critically acclaimed series mainly due to its improvements to the AI systems for both offense and defence. Taking the more action orientated approach seen in PES 6 but further fine tuning it by improving the games tempo, ball physics, fouls and AI as mentioned, these particular games offer some of the highest level of replayability and longevity. JLWE2008CC also offers the bonus of 6 star difficulty not see in the international PES 2008 release as well as slightly updated rosters.

I have fully translated all the text strings within the game using an earlier translation patch by the great Fernando (v1.5). As I said with the previous translation for J.League 2007, this was done with the use of computational translation software - mainly deepl.com and Google Translate so expect some errors here and there. There may be some sentences that do not make grammatical or contextual sense, and in some instances text may appear outside of their respective boxes due to word count and text size not being fully observed due to translating from Japanese to English, but for the most part you will be able to understand and read the text fine.

I also received some help from option file creator Adrian Ferrari who has made all the unlicensed kits for the Premier League, La Liga and others which is included in the zip file of this release along with a widescreen patch for use with a PS2 emulator such as PCSX2.

Patch Details:

• Fully translated from Japanese to English - all menus, modes, club names and players. Huge thanks to @Hawke who helped convert the main menu texture for me!
  • High LOD fix applied via hex edit to the SLPM file.
  • New wider camera applied via hex edit to the SLPM file. All cameras now offer a more zoomed out image slightly similar to PC patches.
  • Included default LOD and camera SLPM file for original PS2 hardware. Simply import and copy over SLPM file in GGS.
  • New blue power bar.
  • Removed ball cursor.
  • New selection of footballs.
  • New positional plate texture.
  • New adboards.
  • New menu sounds.
  • New entrance music.
  • New font.
  • New Adidas boot pack - more of a hackjob due to Konami's limitations post PES 6 but better than nothing!
  • New licensed referee kits.
  • New licensed goalkeeper gloves applied to all teams.
  • Competition and League logos.
  • Banners for all J.League and some Serie A teams.
Download Link:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/s0b8...Winning_Eleven_2008_Club_Championship.7z/file

I would like to thank @fernando for his translation that was used as a base, @marqisspes6 for his tools, help and support, @vialli82 @geeeeee @Lucian0 for reminding everyone how great PES 2008 and JLWE2008CC were and @Hawke for his help with the main menu.

Please download the latest nightly build of PCSX2 from here:

https://pcsx2.net/downloads/#nightly-anchor - Select the QT AVX2 release for Windows 10/11.

Ensure you apply the included Widescreen Patch to the appropriate folder in PCSX2 (I believe its cheats_ws and ensure 16:9 aspect ratio as well as cheats and widescreen patches are enabled in the emulator settings). You will know the widescreen patch has been applied properly as you will see a popup in the top left corner saying 'widescreen patches enabled'. Without this you will end up playing the game in stretched 16:9 and this causes the game to play at a higher speed than normal. Also ensure Optimal Frame Pacing is turned on to reduce any input latency.

To import save file data and option files to your virtual PCSX2 memory card please download MyMc from here:

http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca:11068/mymc/
J-League WE2009 version please 🙏

It's interesting you found it slightly faster. I found JLWE9AC and PES5 to be a similar speed but WE9LE to be slightly faster. Glad you are enjoying it. For me it would be even better if it had a Master League with European teams as well but unfortunately its just the J.League and K-League only.
we should replace the J league with the premier league and the K league with Scottish league then replace the Asian clubs with the best European clubs

we should replace the J league with the premier league and the K league with Scottish league then replace the Asian clubs with the best European clubs
Oh no I wouldn’t want to do that personally. I really like the fact it has those Asian leagues. I just wanted the option to use the European clubs in a Master League format.

Hello,

Talking about JL games, I myself own the 2007 and 2008.

From the main PS2 series, gameplay started to décline after the 2008 release.

Did the same thing occur with the J League series ? As it started to decline with the 2009 iteration ?

Hello,

Talking about JL games, I myself own the 2007 and 2008.

From the main PS2 series, gameplay started to décline after the 2008 release.

Did the same thing occur with the J League series ? As it started to decline with the 2009 iteration ?

It’s interesting you say that. I still find the later games to be amazing on PS2 including WE 2010 and PES 2014 and in some areas are better than the previous ones. What is it about the gameplay you found worse?

When I played JLWE2010 it played really well and quite similar to 2008. It appears that they made less changes to the gameplay with the J.League titles.

It’s interesting you say that. I still find the later games to be amazing on PS2 including WE 2010 and PES 2014 and in some areas are better than the previous ones. What is it about the gameplay you found worse?

Mostly dribbling in fact. I played mostly 2009 and read it was also the case in the later iterations but maybe I should have tested myself as you say 2010 and 2014 were good.

Maybe only 2009 had a different dribbling system.

AI-wise, I had nothing to object.

I'd say Attacking AI in PES 2009 PS2 is better than PES 2008 PS2 but one big flaw in 2009 is AI always do Low Driven shoot. Great AI attacking pattern but wasted with stupid execution :CONFUSE:

Mostly dribbling in fact. I played mostly 2009 and read it was also the case in the later iterations but maybe I should have tested myself as you say 2010 and 2014 were good.

Maybe only 2009 had a different dribbling system.

AI-wise, I had nothing to object.
Yes! I completely get where you are coming from. I had mentioned this a couple of months back, but the dribbling changed from 2010 onwards. They now keep the ball closer to their feet and are slower in terms of feet movement when running and dribbling at the same time which gives them greater close control at most times. To be honest it can be seen both ways in my opinion.

Some people prefer the older dribbling style of PES5/6 and before as you can lose control more easily when sprinting and dribbling, but also the newer dribbling method feels more realistic at times because you don't suddenly lose control of the ball as if the player is a Sunday League amateur and not a professional footballer! As a result the defence feels more fair in terms of interceptions and its not now down to the player suddenly kicking the ball 10 feet ahead of him for no reason!

To be clear Winning Eleven/PES 2010 and all the later titles up to PES 2014 use the newer dribbling style on PS2, but J.League Winning Eleven 2010 looks to have kept the older PES5/6 dribbling style.

Regardless whichever game you prefer of the PS2/Wii era, they are a million miles better than anything released on modern consoles!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom